Year established: 1995
Product types: Auction-style listings, general merchandise
eBay.com is an online auction and shopping website in which people and businesses buy and sell a broad variety of goods and services worldwide. Ebay is headquartered in San Jose, California, and was founded by Pierre Omidyar in 1995. Today, it is a multi-billion dollar business with operations localized in over thirty countries.In addition to its auction-style sales, the website has expanded since 1995 to include “Buy It Now” shopping; shopping by UPC, ISBN, or other kind of SKU; online classified advertisements ; online event ticket trading; online money transfers and other services.
Pros and cons for online sellers
- Users stay on the site for much longer than most other marketplaces
- Ebay offers many customization options for listing an item
- Auction-style listings can drive higher revenues for sellers
- Fee per sale is much higher than almost every other marketplace
- Unique visits per seller are very low
- Email support is not available
There are many different ways to go about selling items online. Here are a couple things to keep in mind when selling items on eBay:
- Follow along with eBay’s item listing recommendations to find out best practices for item title, price, description, and more. This will help you get maximum exposure of your items.
- Expand your selling options by using listing upgrades or automating seller tasks. Although these things may cost extra money, they could benefit your item listings significantly.
- Offer details to your buyers upfront so that there is no miscommunication at any point in the buying process. This transparency will save you from returns or bad reviews, because your customers will know exactly what they are getting when they buy from you.
Every year, eCommerceBytes conducts a survey of thousands of online sellers. The top marketplaces are rated by their users based on several categories. eBay’s results from 2016 are as follows:
Customer Service: 5.9/10
Ease of Use: 6.4/10
Would Recommend: 5.8/10
Details and features
Refer to the table below to get a sense of the various details and features for sellers on eBay.
|eBay Fees and Pricing|
|Fee per month||$0||$19.95||$59.95||$299.95|
|Fee per sale||10% total sale||10% total sale||10% total sale||10% total sale|
|Fee per listing||$0.30||$0.20||$0.10||$0.05|
|Traffic and Online Engagement|
|US Site Rank||7|
|How many monthly unique visitors?||71.5 million|
|How many unique visits per seller?||8|
|What is the site’s bounce rate?||22.8%|
|What is the daily time spent on the site?||11:36|
|Store Policies and Customization|
|Can I customize my storefront?|
|Can I offer discounted listings?||up to 4||up to 5||up to 6|
|Can I create featured listings?||up to 250/day||up to 500/day||up to 2,500/day|
|Is there a public seller profile?|
|Is there public buyer feedback?|
|Tools for Sellers|
|Does the marketplace provide social media tools?|
|Does the marketplace provide options for shop analytics?||basic version||advanced version||advanced version|
|Does the marketplace provide resources for success?||basic version||basic version||pro version||pro version|
|Are there options to promote my listings or booth on the marketplace?|
|Is email support available?|
|Is phone support available?|
|Is live chat support available?|
|Most similar to: eBid CQout iOffer|
We've got all the great information from these tables (plus more!) in one convenient place. Don't miss out - get your free copy of the Master Comparison Spreadsheet now.
1. eBay. “eBay – Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More.“ eBay.com. 4 Aug. 1995. Web. 15 June 2015.
2. eBay. “eBay Standard Selling Fees.” eBay.com. 4 Aug. 1995. Web. 15 June 2015.
3. eCommerceBytes.“Sellers Choice 2015: Merchants Rate Top Online Marketplaces.” Sellers Choice 2015: Merchants Rate Top Online Marketplaces. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.
Last updated on:.